Faith Baptist Church is led and governed by a group of godly men called Elders, of whom the Lead Pastor is one. These are men in whose lives the working of the Holy Spirit is evident, who have given a worthy witness of the authority of Christ in their lives, who are called by the Spirit of God to serve as Elders, and who have met the qualifications for this office given in the Scriptures: 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; and 1 Peter 5:2-3. Elders are also appointed to this office by the Council of Elders.
The Responsibilities of the Elders are:
- Exercising a shepherd’s watch over the church, the flock of God (Acts 20:28; John 21:15-17)
- Showing a consistent study and teaching of the Word of God (1 Tim. 5:17, 3:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:12)
- Encouraging others by sound doctrine and refuting in love, through biblical church discipline, those who oppose and contradict the Word of God (James 5:19-20; Galatians 6:1; Titus 1:9; Matthew 18:1-35)
- Giving diligent labor, caring leadership, exhortation, and guided counsel in the Word (1 Thessalonians 5:12-22; 2 Timothy 2:24-26)
- Praying for the sick (James 5:13-16)
- Overseeing the operations and ministries of the church (Titus 1:5; 1 Timothy 5:17)
- Equipping the saints for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12)
In order to fulfill their ministry in the New Testament church, the Elders of Faith Baptist Church must both cultivate and actively engage in a constant life of studying the Word of God, the doctrines of the faith, and numerous volumes germane to elder ministry. Thus, to keep the membership of Faith Baptist Church informed of the Elders’ intentionality and faithfulness in this regard, listed below are links to the books which are part of the Elders’ weekly course of study as they lead and serve our church family.
Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church Leadership by Alexander Strauch
Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem
The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter
Handbook of Church Discipline: A Right and Privilege of Every Church Member by Jay E. Adams
The Work of the Pastor by William Still
Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson
God, Marriage, & Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation by Andreas Köstenberger
More titles will follow.
What is required to serve as an Elder at Faith Baptist Church?
All potential Elders must meet the biblical requirements for the office given in the Scriptures: 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; and 1 Peter 5:2-3.
Moreover, Elders must be church members of a church of like doctrine and practice to Faith Baptist Church for at least two years, and members of Faith Baptist Church for at least six months prior to beginning the Elder Selection Process. Potential future elders must be invited into the Elder Selection Process by the Elder Council, followed by an affirmation into the office by the unanimous consent of the Elder Council, and affirmation by the congregation according to the constitution and by-laws of Faith Baptist Church.