Faith Baptist Church is moving toward an elder form of church polity that will reflect the biblical form of church governance. To this end, Dr. Garrett Starr is preaching a series of four sermons on elder polity in the New Testament church that will precede the beginning of our Elder Selection Process which will include the nomination, evaluation, affirmation, and ordination of elders at Faith Baptist Church.
Upcoming Sermon Series on Elder Polity in the New Testament Church
January 5, 2020 – “Biblical Polity in the New Testament Church”
January 12, 2020 – “The Biblical Characteristics of Elder Leadership”
January 19, 2020 – “The Biblical Role of Elders in the New Testament Church”
January 26, 2020 – “The Biblical Qualifications for Elders in the New Testament Church”
Faith Baptist Church will be led and governed by a group of godly men called Elders, of whom the Lead Pastor is one. These are men in whose lives the working of the Holy Spirit is evident, who have given a worthy witness of the authority of Christ in their lives, who have met the qualifications for this office given in the Scriptures: 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; and 1 Peter 5:2-3, who have been called by God to serve as Elders, and who have been appointed by the Council of Elders.
The Responsibilities of the Elders are:
- Exercising a shepherd’s watch over the church, the flock of God (Acts 20:28; John 21:15-17).
- Showing a consistent study and teaching of the Word of God (1 Tim. 5:17, 3:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:12).
- Encouraging others by sound doctrine and refuting in love, through biblical church discipline, those who oppose and contradict the Word of God (James 5:19-20; Galatians 6:1; Titus 1:9; Matthew 18:1-35).
- Giving diligent labor, caring leadership, exhortation, and guided counsel in the Word (1 Thessalonians 5:12-22; 2 Timothy 2:24-26).
- Praying for the sick (James 5:13-16).
- Overseeing the operations and ministries of the church (Titus 1:5; 1 Timothy 5:17).
- Equipping the saints for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12).
What is required to serve as an Elder at Faith Baptist Church?
All potential Elders must meet the biblical requirements for the office given in the Scriptures: 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; and 1 Peter 5:2-3.
Moreover, Elders must be church members of a church of like doctrine and practice to Faith Baptist Church for at least two years, and members of Faith Baptist Church for at least six months prior to beginning the Elder Selection Process. Potential future elders must be invited into the Elder Selection Process by the Elder Council, followed by an affirmation into the office by the unanimous consent of the Elder Council, and affirmation by the congregation according to our constitution and by-laws of Faith Baptist Church.